Monday, June 20, 2011

Dinner time


After days of being in lethargy of the deepest kind, I finally went to clear out my desk at my work place. It was a task I clearly underestimated because I only got so far as to sorting out which papers to shred and which resources belonged to which classes.

I did get paid today though. The past week, I have had to restrain myself from going on a trip to a northern province because I was running out of money. Turns out, the money had been lying in the office the whole time. Anyway, so I decided to celebrate pay-day by buying some chicken. Mina and I then went to Naviangkham market, the one close by, and bought some vegetables. I also spotted an enormous live gecko and its dismembered dearly departed on display at the market place.

I decided to cook an elaborate meal for the girls, and for myself, since for the past few days I hadn't really had a proper meal. More because of my laziness than the kitchen not being stocked. And well, 'elaborate' for my standards, considering how seldom I cook. So yea, as the girls watched one of their many Thai-dubbed Bollywood movies, I busied myself in the kitchen.

I made a jhaal sabji- the one with aloo, tomatoes, chillies, etc. I added a brinjal too. Then I marinated the chicken in some garlic, worcestershire sauce, vinegar and some salt, and then fried it after a coating of a flour and Knorr (seasoning) mixture. Sa, who is about 5 years old, Linda's younger sister who's here on a visit, was on her best behaviour and helped me fry the chicken. I made a simple salad with diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onions mixed with the squeezed juice of a lemon, some sugar and salt as the dressing.

On 'elaborate' dinner nights, we usually like to eat outside where out landlady has set a table and some chairs. Our house, being on a hillock, gives us a good view of the surrounding hills and a few ranges behind, and the famous Phousy Temple up on the Phousy Hill. So, we get to enjoy the meal with the lovely view of the setting sun.

We enjoyed the meal, yes. And after several days of eating, sleeping, doing things on our own timings, it felt good to eat together again. Amber's been away for over a week now and the household has been running a little differently, this being vacation time.So, it was good to have a meal together with the girls again.

It could have been my hunger talking, but as we fried the chicken, I thought that nobody should be denied the joy that fried chicken can bring. Well, tonight our household sure didn't get denied nor deny any.


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! You are invited to join Naga Bloggers Association (NBA) - an org./community which brings Naga bloggers together.

    Regards,
    Team NBA
    http://www.nagabloggers.com

    ReplyDelete