Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day One

I'm now officially jobless.

Work came to an end last evening with the last of our English Camp classes. I still have to clear out my desk and all, but this is it. Everyone being exhausted, teachers and students alike, it was more of an anti-climax than the usual end-of-term buzz of excitement. But well, we have had our share of outings, class parties and farewells in the past few weeks.

Day One of the holidays and I'm bored out of my wits. All my team-mates have left- some for meetings/ holidays in Bangkok, some to the States. I'm home alone, the girls having gone back to their village. I've cleaned my room, done my laundry, sorted out my wardrobe, made some fries with a mayo dip, ate them with some carrot sticks and a glass of water for lunch.

17 more days until my parents and sister arrive here. What a wait. I hate waiting.

We plan to go to a few places once they get here. A trek to a village and some sight-seeing around here and then we'll be off to Vietnam.

Vietnam excites me. Hanoi Old Town Quarters have charmed me already, reminding me of Old Delhi. I can't wait to let Ha Long Bay take my breath away. We'll then go to Cambodia.

Cambodia saddens me. The thought of Pol Pot's prison Tuol Sleng in Phnom Penh has robbed me of a night's sleep already. Siem Reap with the Ankor Wat will probably be more... serene. I'm excited that I have seen already the part of the Ankor Wat that extends into the Lao border, down south in Champasak.

I wish we could've gone back to Phuket. But Bangkok will be our last stop. I hope I won't have a fit or seizure out of excitement. It has been a long time, a really long time since I've had a shopping spree or been in a mall.

My folks will fly straight to Kolkatta on a morning flight, while I'll have a few more hours on my own before I catch my flight to Delhi.

Delhi after over a year makes me nervous. Much has changed. I haven't seen Delhi after her Commonwealth Games face-lift. And knowing that people will have changed, it is a bittersweet feeling, as much as I have been learning to embrace change.

Coming to think of it, I think it'll be a great summer. Like most good things in life, I bet it'll be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment