Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stew Or Something Like It


So after a really long day, I came home with the girls. I was starving. We had some meat left in the freezer. So I delegated duties to the girls to take charge of the rice. It took me some time to "defrost" the meat in a tub of hot water. Then I struggled to slice them into really thin pieces so that they would get cooked real fast. I had some idea of what I was doing, trying to remember the taste of some meat stew cooked with some squash which I'd eaten many times back home. There was nothing much in the fridge, so I didn't have much of a choice. Garlic always does the trick for me. Well maybe tonight, it overdid it a little 'cause the entire house still smells of garlic, but anyway, the stew was made. I became a little conscious as I laid the dish on our small table... the girls eager to see what the "falang" (Lao word for "foreign") had cooked. I muttered "Ah, bo seb!" (Ah, not tasty!) a little nervously. They tasted it and one said "Seb, seb!", nodding and urging the other to go "Seb, seb!" in agreement. Of course, I knew that they were only being nice. But I was too hungry to care by then. I had three helpings. Ehe. I think the girls actually enjoyed it though. When a dish meant to last for two meals almost gets over in one, either the diners were really hungry or it was a damn good dish. Either way, I'm stuffed, happy and droopy-eyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment